Delicious Chicken (or Turkey) Pot Pie
- 1 cup potato, diced
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1/2 cup celery, diced
- 1 cup carrot, diced
- 6oz pkg slice mushrooms (I like baby bellas), sautéed to preferred doneness (slightly underdone is best)
- 1/3 cup melted butter
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken broth or stock
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 4 cups chicken (or turkey!), cooked and chopped (store bought rotisserie chickens or thanksgiving turkey leftovers are great for this step!)
- 2 pie crusts
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Saute first 5 ingredients to butter for 10 minutes.
- Add flour to sauteed mixture, stirring well. Cook for one minute, stirring constantly.
- Combine broth/stock and half-and-half and gradually stir into vegetable mixture.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until thickened and bubbly.
- Stir in salt and pepper, add chicken and stir well.
- Pour into shallow casserole dish (2qt is usually good) and top with pie shells.
- Cut a few slits in top to allow for steam to escape.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes or until pastry is golden brown and filling is bubbly and cooked through.