You only have one chance to help your house make a good impression on a potential buyer if and when you decide to sell your home. Here are some tips that will help you help your house make a great impression when anyone (including your real estate agent) sees it.
- Your house’s very first impression is how it looks from the outside. This is called curb appeal. If it doesn’t look great from the curb, the potential buyer won’t even bother to get out of their car so mow the lawn, prune the bushes, weed the garden, and plant some flowers. Put away the kids’ balls, bikes, stuff. If the front steps are broken, fix them.
- Clean the outside of the house. Clean the gutters and pressure wash the siding. If the exterior needs painting, do it.
- Make repairs. Replace the broken windows. Fix the leaky roof…even better, replace the old roof with a new one.
- Front door is the entrance to your house so paint/refinish it so it looks great. Replace old, faded, cracked house numbers next to the front door.
- Buy a new welcome mat for the front door so potential buyers feel like they’re, in fact, welcome in the house.
- De-clutter the exterior/interior/closets of the house so the buyer can visualize their things, their furnishings, their art, etc. in the house. If you need to rent a storage unit for your excess furnishings/knickknacks/family photos, do it.
- Clean and shine everything (floors, tables, carpets, bathrooms, kitchen, I mean everything) in the house so that it all sparkles
- Paint interior rooms with neutral colors (off white, beiges, grays) for broad appeal, even if you think a royal blue room looks good.
- Eliminate all bad odors in the house such as cigarette/cigar smoke, cat litters, etc. Fill the house with inviting smells like freshly baked cookies and freshly cut flowers
- Take your pets out of the home when you know the house is to be shown to potential buyers. Some people are allergic to cats. Some dogs protect their home by biting strangers.
TeamHeidi has an army of resource people who can help you fix, repair, paint, stage your home so that it looks as good as it can look. This process does not have to cost lots and lots of money. In fact, TeamHeidi’s resource people are real pros so not only will they help you prepare your home to make a great first impression on potential buyers, they can save you money doing just that.
Our real estate market in the greater Charlotte NC market is hot hot hot! But like in any market, the best homes at the best prices sell first. It a price war and a beauty contest all rolled into one. Call TeamHeidi, we’ll get your home sold!!